- Criminal Law
- Civil/Commercial Litigation
- Employment Law
- Family & Divorce Law
- Tenancy and Landlord matters
- Corporate Advisory, Transactions and Commercial Agreements
Jonathan believes that access to justice is for all, and that lawyers are gatekeepers who play a crucial role in ensuring this. He is committed to bringing about healing and reconciliation through his practice of law.
Jonathan started his dispute resolution and litigation practice in one of Singapore’s most established law firms, Lee & Lee. He has handled a diverse range of cases in areas both civil and criminal. He has appeared before all levels of the Singapore Courts and is familiar with trial and appellate processes, as well as various alternative dispute resolution processes.
While Jonathan takes a special interest in criminal litigation, he has also enjoyed a full spectrum of legal work in commercial litigation and has assisted/advised on disputes involving personal injury, tenancy and landlord matters, contract, probate/wills, and employment matters. He has acted for both individual and corporate clients including companies, statutory boards and leading financial institutions in commercial and consumer financing matters, including hire-purchase agreement claims, the enforcement of mortgages and bankruptcy related matters. He also has experience with legal work in the healthcare industry, such as advising doctors and acting for them in legal and disciplinary proceedings.
His experience in criminal litigation and defence work includes advising and representing individuals in respect of criminal charges/prosecution for a wide-range of offences under the Penal Code, Employment of Foreign Manpower Act, Misuse of Drugs Act, Road Traffic Act, Moneylenders Act, Prevention of Corruption Act, and the Corruption, Drug Trafficking Serious Crimes (Confiscation of Benefits) Act. Jonathan also provides representation and legal assistance to lower-income individuals as an active volunteer lawyer with the Law Society’s Criminal Legal Aid Scheme (“CLAS”).
Jonathan also invests his time in serving the community around him and is committed to mentoring the next generation. He is actively involved in legal community as a facilitator and mentor in the Preparatory Course leading to Part B of the Singapore Bar Examinations conducted by the Singapore Institute of Legal Education (“SILE”) and also serves as a deacon overseeing the youth and music ministry in his Church. In his free time, he also volunteers as a mentor with Awaken Generation, which conducts part-time music courses.
Sample Cases & Experience:
- Advice and representation for a dispute relating to the setting aside of a last will in a multi-million dollar estate on the grounds of mental incapacity and undue influence; the matter was amicably settled.
- Advice and representation on disputes relating to employment contracts, employee relations and claims, confidentiality agreements and restrictive covenants, including obtaining urgent remedial actions (such as interim injunctions) for the breach of post-employment undertakings.
- Advice and representation in a commercial dispute involving an investment/joint-venture agreement purportedly guised as a moneylending transaction; the matter was settled amicably through mediation.
- Advice and representation in the enforcement of judgments through applications for garnishee orders, examination of judgment debtors, writ of seizure and sale, and bankruptcy proceedings.
- Advice and representation for criminal charges involving various offences such as the falsification of accounts, employment of foreign manpower offences, bigamy, theft, outrage of modesty, voluntarily causing hurt, trespassing, traffic offences, moneylending and drug offences; presenting pleas in mitigation and assisting in bringing resolution to such emotional and sensitive matters without proceeding to trial.
- Advice and representation on professional liability disputes, including complaints to the Singapore Medical Council, Singapore Dental Council and Coroner’s Inquiries.
- Advice and representation for a personal injury matter which was settled before trial.
- Advisory work on potential occupier’s liability claims.
- Advice and representation for tenancy and landlord disputes and claims under hire-purchase agreements.
- General drafting and advisory work on various commercial agreements.